Sunday, August 03, 2008

And I thought I had interesting roommates...

As I was checking out msn.com, I noticed a news story reporting the death of Nobel winner and Russian author Alexandr Solzhenitsyn. My exposure to Solzhenitsyn is mostly limited to One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, one of the most interesting and insightful books I have ever read. My Russian lit teacher at Interlochen didn't have us read any of his works, mostly because there was not room in the schedule for it. On an interesting note, one of her former students ended up being the college roommate of Solzhenitsyn's son Ignat, an acclaimed pianist and conductor. Can you even imagine move-in day?

2 comments:

Davo said...

Considering your interest in Russian, I put up a post on my blog regarding Solzhenitsyn--have you read any of his work? I'm a bit scared to realize that you know way more Russian than me at this point....

Davo said...

..somehow managed, in your rather short post, to skip over the works of Solzhy that you read. Whups.